The Middlesex Memorial Hospital was founded in 1904 and given authority to operate a school of nursing in 1908. The first class of three students graduated 20 February 1910. The school was approved by the State Board of Examiners in 1918, and first granted accreditation by the National League for Nursing in 1946. In 1970, in honor of a graduate and 45 year employee, the school changed its name to Ona M. Wilcox School of Nursing, and again when it was granted accreditation by the state as a college, to Wilcox College of Nursing. In 1997, after years of debate, the college closed due to insufficient funding and lack of support.