A Guide to the American Thread Company Records, 1953-1978

A Guide to the American Thread Company Records

Summary Information

Title
A Guide to the American Thread Company Records
Creator
American Thread Company.
Inclusive Dates
1953-1978
Extent
1.5 Linear feet
Abstract
In 1898, the English Sewing Company of England purchases the Willimantic Linen Company and other New England mills and form the American Thread Company. The Willimantic mill was closed when the company moved to North Carolina in 1985.
Call Number
1998.0302
Language
English
Finding Aid Prepared By
Finding aid prepared by Archives & Special Collections staff. (January 1998)
Repository
University of Connecticut Libraries 405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205 Storrs, Connecticut, 06269-1205 860.486.2524 archives@uconn.edu

Preferred Citation

[Item description, #:#], American Thread Company Records.  Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center,  University of Connecticut Libraries.

Return to Table of Contents »


Access and Use

Acquisition Information

Unknown for every item except for the 1978 annual report, which was donated in February 2013 by W.J. Bartus of   Long Valley, New Jersey.

Access Restrictions

The collection is open and available for research.

Preferred Citation

[Item description, #:#], American Thread Company Records.  Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center,  University of Connecticut Libraries.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Corporate Name(s)

  • American Thread Company.

Genre(s)

  • Annual Reports
  • Illustrations (layout features).

Geographic Name(s)

  • Connecticut
  • Willimantic (Conn.)

Subject(s)

  • Cotton yarn industry
  • Mills and mill-work
  • Textile factories
  • Textile industry
  • Thread

Return to Table of Contents »


History

In 1898, the English Sewing Company of  England purchased the  Willimantic Linen Company England mills and formed the  American Thread Company locally known as “ATCO” or “the THREAD”.  The Willimantic mill was closed when the company moved to  North Carolina in 1985.

(Source: Matthew Roth.  Connecticut: An Inventory of Historic Engineering and Industrial Sites.  Society for Industrial Archeology, 1981. Information provided by  Windham Textile and History Museum, 157 Union/Main Street, Willimantic, CT 06226)

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

The collection consists of one print and twenty-four (25) annual reports which provide information on officers, earnings, and information of interest to stockholders.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series I: Annual reports, 1953-1977 

Box
1

 1953 

 1955 

 1956 

 1957 

 1958 

 1959 

 1960 

 1961 

 1962 

 1963 

 1964 

 1965 

 1966 

 1967 

 1968 

 1969 

 1970 

 1971 

 1972 

 1973 

 1974 

 1975 

 1976 

 1977 

 1978 

Return to Table of Contents »


Series II: Print, undated 

Folder

Print, undated 

OS

Return to Table of Contents »