A Guide to the Alfred E. Moss Collection, Bulk, 1910-1965

A Guide to the Albert E. Moss Collection

Summary Information

Title
A Guide to the Alfred E. Moss Collection
Creator
Moss, Alfred E.
Inclusive Dates
undated, 1711-1976
Extent
10.0 Linear feet
Abstract
Mr. Albert E. Moss was a faculty member at Connecticut Agricultural College (now the University of Connecticut) for twenty-nine years. He is best known for his work in the field of Forestry. Focus of the collection is survey work on the transfer of land to and from the University of Connecticut.
Call Number
1990.0031
Language
English
Finding Aid Prepared By
Finding aid prepared by Allison B. Krug. (March 2004)
Repository
University of Connecticut Libraries 405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205 Storrs, Connecticut, 06269-1205 860.486.2524 archives@uconn.edu

Preferred Citation

[Item description, #:#], Albert E. Moss Collection. Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center,  University of Connecticut Libraries

Return to Table of Contents »


Access and Use

Acquisition Information

The collection was donated by Dr. Walter Wardell in March 1994.

Access Restrictions

The collection is open and available for research.

Preferred Citation

[Item description, #:#], Albert E. Moss Collection. Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center,  University of Connecticut Libraries

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Genre(s)

  • Correspondence
  • Deeds
  • Field notes
  • Land surveys
  • Lantern slides
  • Leases
  • Maps (documents)
  • Moving images
  • Notes
  • Photocopies
  • Photographs
  • Plats (maps)

Personal Name(s)

  • Danielson, Thomas B.
  • Moss, Alfred E.

Return to Table of Contents »


Biography

Albert E. Moss began his career at  Connecticut Agricultural College as an instructor of Forestry in 1914. He became an assistant Professor of Forestry between 1914 and 1927. He eventually rose to the position of full professor of Forestry in 1928 and would hold that position until his retirement in 1943. He is known for his extensive field work on virgin forest tree identification and plantings, documenting logging practices and the rising number of sawmills in the United States, stream and dam improvements, and the restocking of rivers with native fish. He worked in conjunction with the Department of Forestry and Wildlife Management to document government timber sales. Although his main focus was on  New England forests, primarily  Connecticut lands, his fieldwork took him as far as  California. He is known at the  University of Connecticut for his surveys and mapping of University land.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Content

This collection contains the professional work of Albert E. Moss. Included are his extensive field notes, films, and slides pertaining to his work in the field of forestry. The collection also includes the surveys and deeds of lands surrounding the  University of Connecticut [Storrs] campus, and the transfers of ownership of the lands dating back to the mid-eighteenth century up to and including the mid-twentieth century. The collection does not include any information pertaining to his personal life. A significant portion of the survey work appears to have been conducted by  Thomas B. Danielson.

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

Series I: University of Connecticut Land Survey 

Box

Barrows. Notes on land deeds and surveys, 1811-1958 

1:1-3

UConn-East of route 195 and North of Gurleyville. Notes on land deeds and surveys, 1761-1958 

1:4-6

UConn-Horsebarn Road to Dog Lane. Notes on land deeds and surveys, 1813-1956 

1:7-8

UConn-North Eagleville Road. Notes on land deeds and surveys, 1763-1951 

1:9-11

UConn-South Eagleville Road to Dog Lane to South Coventry. Notes on land deeds and surveys, 1830-1950 

2:12-15

Return to Table of Contents »


Series II: Field Notes, 1911-1976 

Box

Volume 1, Survey of College Lands. Divided into sections A, B, C, D and page numbers. A: West Orchard to South Eagleville Road p.1-10, 1925 February 14 

3:16

Volume 2, Survey of College lands and buildings. Data and drawings of Road frontage, duck pond and ground levels to wells and river, 1925 July - August 

3:16

Volume 3 Survey of college lands. Profile of proposed pipeline. Water pipe survey. Sewer level survey profile of Fenton river and Fenton pond. Levels of filter beds, 1926 December - 1927 July 

3:17

Volume 4 Water commission notes. Index to notes in back of field book, 1927 July - September 

3:17

Volume 5 Water commission field notes. Survey notes, calculations. Tower topography notes, 1927 October - December 

3:18

Volume 6 Levels of sewers, filter beds. Gurleyville Road purchase. Calculations with references to book number and page. Dates out of sequence, 1927 December - 1930 August 

3:18

Volume 7 Land grading levels and elevations, 1927-1929 

3:19

unmarked volume. Sketches of part of state forest at Portland. Survey calculations. Description and measurement of land and trees, including blight and other damage, 1911-1918 

3:20

unmarked volume. Visibility studies on different tracts of land. Including date, weather, time, crew. Survey notes and remarks on land, 1938 April - August 

3:21

Fenton river-daily diary. Time, air temperature, water temperature, location and other miscellaneous notes, 1935 July 

3:22

Survey of UConn land near sheep and chicken range, 1950-1952 

4:23

Survey of Ostrofsky land, 1951 

4:24

Survey of UConn pond and surveyors personal notes, 1952 

4:25

Survey of orchard area and chicken house, 1952 

4:26

Survey of UConn lands near water wells B and C, 1952 

4:27

Survey of Storrs family land, deed notes included, 1954 

4:28

Survey of UConn land, 1954-1955 

4:29

Survey of UConn land, undated 

4:30

Survey of Horsebarn Hill Road to North Eagleville Road, includes electric pole markings, 1956 

4:31

Survey of Gurleyville Road/ Fenton River area, 1957 

4:32

Survey of Ledgebrook land and rear of skating rink, 1957 

4:33

Property notes and calculations, 1958 

4:34

Survey of UConn land on Gurleyville Road, 1958 

4:35

Notes on all activities done in the field, by surveyor and assistant, 1959-1961 

4:36

Survey of Fitts property, 1960 

4:37

Survey of E.O. Smith/University High School grounds, 1960 

4:38

Survey of Agronomy Road and Orchard Road, 1961 

4:39

Survey of Gilmore family land on Dog Lane, 1962 

4:40

Survey of Jacobsen, Porizek and new Post Office land, 1962-1963 

4:41

Survey and property deed notes on town of Chaplin, 1964 

4:42

Surveyors personal notes on work activity in the field, 1964 

4:43

UConn land-Survey and property notes, 1965-1967 

4:44

Survey of Connecticut Theatrical Corp. land, 1968 

4:45

Survey notes for Hirschfield Brothers Coust Co., 1969 

4:46

Dewey family land notes, 1971 

4:47

Survey of Barrows in town of Mansfield, 1973-1975 

4:48

Survey of Weeks Agency land and new Post Office land, 1976 

4:49

Worksheet on land on the west side of Route 195, undated 

4:50

Survey drawings of Brown and Gurley family lands, undated 

4:51

Deed notes-Baker to Clark, Isaac Farewell to  John Farewell,  Samuel Thompson to Hannah, Gordon, Jesse and  Elijah Thompson, undated 

4:52

Drawings and calculations for lines of separation of properties belonging to Freeman and Storrs families, 1965 

4:53

Return to Table of Contents »


Series III: Land Deeds, Maps and Surveys, 1773-1976 

Box

Land deed Beach, Kirkpatrick and Wheeler to the State of Connecticut. (Mrs. M.B. Whitney 1914), 1917 

5:54

Land deed Joseph P. Brown. (H. Day 1940), 1953 

5:55

Land deed Florence S. Cummings to  Connecticut Agricultural College.(  Bradley M. Sears 1917), 1920 

5:56

Land deed John N. Fitts to  State of Connecticut. (Chadwick 1909, Mason 1916), 1918 

5:57

Land deed Freeman and Thompson families, 1788-1844 

5:58

Land deed Harold C. Hawkins to  State of Connecticut. (Gurleyville-west side of Fenton river, both sides of the highway), 1918 

5:59

Land deed Lydia E. Harris to  Connecticut Agricultural College. (village of Eagleville, eastward from Central Vermont passenger station), 1918 

5:60

Land deed Julius A. Hauschild. (Eastside of Storrs through Springhill to Willimantic), 1928 

5:61

Land deed George G. Jacobsen to UConn,  Willimantic Savings and Loan and  Alexander Jarvis, 1957 

5:62

Land deed George G. Jacobsen 1st tract-East side of  C.A.C. to Mansfield Four Corners, 50 acres. 2nd tract-Southside of Gurleyville Road, 54.4 acres, 1911 

5:63

Land deed Charles and Katie Muller to  Connecticut Agricultural College. (3 tracts in Mansfield, easterly of the Congregational Church in Storrs), 1918 

5:64

Land deed Charles T. and A. Lena Nichols to  State of Connecticut. (near village of Gurleyville- 5 acres) (Charles W. To Charles T. 1909), 1915 

5:65

Land deed Augustus Storrs to Trustees of the  Storrs Agricultural School. (A. Storrs establishes the state Agricultural School in 1881), 1890 

5:66

Land deed Storrs Congregational Church to  State of Connecticut. (easterly side of highway from Springhill to Storrs), 1929 

5:67

Land deed University Commercials, Inc. to  State of Connecticut. (State of CT to University Commercials, Inc. 1948), 1968 

5:68

Land deed Benjamin E. Valentine to  State of Connecticut. (tract starting in Mansfield to Storrs to Springhill to Willimantic), 1918 

5:69

Land deed Philomena A. and Esther W. Warzocha to  State of Connecticut with right of way to  Willimantic Trust Co. on Dog Lane, 1962, 1966 

5:70

Land deed State of Connecticut to  Willimantic Trust Co. (southerly side of Dog Lane in town of Mansfield), 1962 

5:71

Land deed Willis P. and Olive G. Wildes to  State of Connecticut and  C.A.C. (Easterly side of the highway from Springhill to Storrs, 22 acres), 1928 

5:72

Land deed Monroe D. and Phyllis M. Wright to  State of Connecticut and UConn. (2.22 acres in Mansfield), 1958 

5:73

Agronomy Rd survey notes and deed notes, 1964 

5:74

Beebe family land deeds notes and survey notes, 1942-1969 

5:75

Board of Fisheries and Game notes, State of CT,(tracts 180, 182), undated 

5:76

Survey of Daniel A. Graf land, (east side of Moulton Rd), 1966 

5:77

Joseph Ogushewitz to  State of Connecticut. (farm south of Old Turnpike rd), 1966 

5:78

Sophia Soja to  State of Connecticut. (tract known as Ox-Bow), 1959 

5:79

Stanley L. Storrs to  State of Connecticut and UConn, survey and deed notes, 1964 

5:80

Albert E. Waugh notes on land deeded to and from UConn, 1958 

5:81

The Weeks Agency to  State of Connecticut. (  Allen King to  Ellsworth Weeks, 1956 and  Ellsworth Weeks to  Weeks Agency, 1968), 1976 

5:82

Survey notes on Land on easterly side of UConn campus and route 195, 1969 

5:83

State of Connecticut to  University of Connecticut Foundation, (westerly side of Hillside Rd), 1967 

5:84

University of Connecticut to  Willimantic Trust Co. (southerly side of Dog Lane in Mansfield), 1962 

5:85

University of Connecticut to Hirschfield, survey and deed notes. (Route 195 and Dog Lane), 1969 

5:86

University of Connecticut to  Stanley Werner Management Corp., Survey and deed notes. (easterly side of route 195 in Mansfield), 1962 

5:87

University of Connecticut to Warzocha and  Willimantic Trust Co. (southerly side of Dog Lane in Mansfield), 1962 

5:88

Lease notes, State of Connecticut to  U.S. Postal Service, 1976 

5:89

Lease notes, University of Connecticut to  Uni-Plaza, Inc., 1972 

5:90

Property notes. Name of property owner, date, and MLR area, undated 

5:91

 

OS:94

C.A.C. Real Estate owned and from whom acquired, drawn by Moss and updated by Danielson (1967), 1881-1930 

Survey drawings pertaining to Weeks Agency, Inc. lands owned and sold, undated 

Drawing of driveways off of Dog Lane leading to Bank and doctors office, 

Survey drawings of properties along Beebe Lane and Route 195, ca. 1950 

Location of right of way of The Connecticut Light and Power company, across property located in town of Mansfield, 1955 June 

Three drawings of H.D. stranded conductors on UConn property next to Henry S. Day property line, undated 

Map of land to be conveyed by Everest T. McKinney to  State of Connecticut. Westerly of Conn Highway Route 195, town of Mansfield, 1952 February 

OS:95

Map of land to be conveyed by Isidore Rosenstein to  Farhang Javid and  Kathleen B. Javid. Northeasterly corner of North and Bolivia streets,  Willimantic, CT, 1962 June 

OS:96

Maps of property conveyed by University Commercials, Inc. to  State of Connecticut by deed dated September 1968. Survey October 1968, 2 maps, 1968 

OS:97

Plan showing proposed line and sub station site at UConn, 22KV line to UConn from Connecticut Light and Power Co. May 1948. Light and Power Co. survey map of the Rockville-Willimantic line stations and poles, 1948 

OS:98

UConn plant maintenance dept. maps, 1962 June 

OS:99

 

OS:100

Map of Woodstock, CT, 1886 

Four sections of a map showing areas around Storrs University Plaza, undated 

Plan of north half of the township of Woodstock, 1773 May 

Connecticut State Highway dept. right of way map of town of Mansfield, Willimantic-Storrs Road, 1933 

Return to Table of Contents »


Series IV: Personal Papers, undated, 1938, 1959-1978 

Box

Thomas B. Danielson, 1959-1978 

5:92

Alfred E. Moss, undated, 1938 

5:93

Return to Table of Contents »


Series V: Visual Materials, undated 

Subseries A: Film, 

Box

20 reels, undated 

6

Subseries B: Lantern slides, 

Box

150 (approx.) plates, undated 

8

Subseries C: Photographic prints, 

Box

110 (approx.) images, undated 

6

Photo album and 29 prints, undated 

7

Subseries D: Photographic negatives, undated 

Box

20 negatives, undated 

7

108 glass plate negatives, undated 

7

Return to Table of Contents »