Jump to navigation
Photograph of the Midway railroad station in the town of Groton, Connecticut. [This description provided by Richard A. Fleischer: The Midway, Connecticut, railroad station, center, and the coal pocket, right, were photographed in the late 1920s. In 1904, the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad built a large freight yard where train crews and engines could be changed at Poquonnock, Connecticut, and changed the name of the station to Midway. The location was approximately midway between Providence and New Haven, and about 10 miles east of the halfway point between New York and Boston. By the middle of the 1920s, changes in technology and railroad operations had reduced the importance of Midway Yard. In 1926, the railroad had the Roberts & Schaefer Co. build a 700-ton capacity reinforced concrete coaling station straddling the Shore Line at the west end of Midway Yard. Two new water columns were installed at the coaling station. Steam locomotives that required coal and water could then stop with their train on the main line at the coal pocket and be coaled and watered, expediting rail traffic.]
Groton (inhabited place)
Box 2:folder 146
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, CC BY-NC.
Francis D. Donovan Papers